The Shepherd of Hope blog is here to serve you, to help you know Jesus better and to find hope in Him. This blog relies on the Spirit of God using the word of God to build people of God. All material has been prayerfully submitted for your encouragement and spiritual edification. Your questions and comments are welcome.


Sunday, September 19, 2010

Our Most Honored Guest

Note: This is the content of what I said at the wedding of my daughther and son in law on September 18th, 2010.


“Now both Jesus and His disciples were invited to the wedding” – John 2:2


A wedding is a rite of passage from singleness to married life. Marriage is important:

1. God created marriage to solve the problem of loneliness.

2. God created marriage to multiply families and to perpetuate a godly legacy.

3. God created marriage to mirror His image and relationship to People.

4. God created marriage as the place where me, myself, and I become WE

5. God created marriage as an instrument of His love.


Jesus performed His first miracle at a wedding He had been invited to (John 2). The first invitation sent out for this wedding was to Jesus. The first RSVP we received back was from Jesus. Jesus is here today. He is at the center of this wedding. Jesus is our Most Honored Guest.


It’s not every day that a father gives away his daughter as a bride and performs the wedding. This wedding is a highlight of my life, my wife’s life, Rachel and Eric’s lives and the lives of their families. It’s a most special day. I’m giving away and wedding my precious Rachel, my precious Chee-chee. And I’m gaining a great new son in Eric. This day is second only to my day of salvation and ranks up there with my own wedding day.


So I wanted to make sure it’s done right. I wanted to make sure I did my part to make this day as perfect as possible. I know on my own that couldn’t happen. I asked Jesus for help.


As I thought about the wedding and what to say, I prayed. And one night the Lord told me Just tell them what you know is in My heart for them. Tell them what I’ve already said in My word. I said, “Okay Lord. That’s perfect!”


This is what the Lord directed me to say:

,
Tell Eric I love him.
Tell him to love Rachel like I love My Bride the Church. She’s his girl now. He must love her selflessly. He must be willing to die for her, not only physically, but he must be willing to die to self and put her first. He must love her in word and deed with My love. I will give him that love by My Holy Spirit. Tell him to pray for his bride, to build her up. Tell him to always encourage her to come to Me. Tell him the closer she is to Me, the better wife to him she will be.


Tell Rachel
I love her. Tell her to respect Eric. He’s her man now. She needs to build him up and encourage him. She needs to share her heart with him. She needs to support and submit to his decisions. She needs to pray for him. Tell her to always encourage him to come to Me. Tell her the closer he comes to Me, the better husband to her he will be.


Tell this new couple
that once they are newly married they will face many challenges and adjustments. Two becoming one is a beautiful thing but like any work of art it takes a lot of hard work. They will have to work on building their relationship. They will have to work on family building. As they minister together for Me it will get hard at times. They will encounter trials in this life. They may have to deal with illness, financial strains, family and other issues. Their faith will be challenged. I will challenge them. But tell them to trust in Me always and I will help them get through with flying colors.


Tell them to remember My words:


“With . . . God all things are possible”
(Matthew 19:26) . . . he who is greatest among you shall be your servant. 12 And whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted” (Matthew 23:11-12). “. . . ‘It is more blessed to give than to receive.’ ” (Acts 20:35). “These things I have spoken to you, that in Me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation; but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world.” (John 16:33). “My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness.” (2 Corinthians 12:9) “I will never leave you nor forsake you.” (Hebrews 13:5) “Therefore whoever hears these sayings of Mine, and does them, I will liken him to a wise man who built his house on the rock: . . . (Matthew 7:24).


Tell the parents, I love them.
Support Eric and Rachel. Encourage them. Respect their privacy and marriage but be there for them when they ask you for advice. Help them out in every way you can. They are married but they are still your children. Love them.


Tell the family and friends
of Eric and Rachel that I love them. Tell them to support Eric and Rachel and pray for them often. Tell them to encourage them and bless them. Tell them to ask Me how to bless them and I will tell them what to do.


Tell those here who don’t yet know Me that I love them.
Tell them I’d like to have a close relationship with all of them but for that to happen they must be born again; birthed spiritually. Tell them I know all their reasons for not knowing Me personally like they should. I know their doubts and fears, disappointments and excuses. Tell them to come and discuss it with Me. Tell them to look at what I’ve said in My Word. None of their reasons are good enough. They are separated from Me by their sin. Tell them to turn from their sin to Me and I will forgive them. I have made a way for their sins to be wiped clean by My death on the cross. I’ve proven that with My resurrection. Tell them if they forsake their sins and ask My Father to forgive them based on faith in Me, He will forgive them. If they do that they will be filled with the Holy Spirit who will help them know Me. They will receive eternal life, and we’ll start a personal relationship that will never end and only grow deeper and better.


Tell them to remember My words:


“the Son of Man has come to seek and to save that which was lost.”
(Luke 19:10). “. . . the one who comes to Me I will by no means cast out. (John 6:37) No one can come to Me unless the Father who sent Me draws him; . . . . (John 6:44). “Most assuredly, I say to you, he who believes in Me has everlasting life. (John 6:47). . . . The words that I speak to you are spirit, and they are life.” (John 6:63). “. . . “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me.” (John 14:6). “Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and dine with him, and he with Me. . . . He who has an ear to hear, let him hear what the Spirit says . . . .” (Revelation 3:20, 22).


Jesus said to me, “One last thing, tell everyone I’m coming back soon! And tell them when I do return I’m going to have My own wedding (Rev. 19:7-9). Everyone is invited, but you have to receive My invitation and come in My name. Tell them I’d love to have them come to My wedding, but they have to be dressed properly to attend. They must be wearing My robes of righteousness, otherwise they will not be allowed to enter My wedding feast. These robes are free from Me, all they have to do to get them is forsake their sin, ask My Father to forgive their sin, and do so by faith in Me, Jesus, King of kings and Lord of lords (Mt. 22:1-14; Isaiah 61:10; Rom. 13:14). Hope you will all be ready when I come and I especially hope you’ll all attend My wedding, My Bride is beautiful. Love you all.”


Thank you Jesus, for being our Most Honored Guest.

No comments:

Post a Comment